Monday 14 September 2020

Sourdough discard or what else can you do with sourdough starter?

 When I was looking into how to make a sourdough starter, one of the things which put me off was the instruction: "throw away 90% of your starter and add 100g flour and 100g water to feed the small quantity you have left." 



I didn't prepare my starter until I'd found some ideas for using the "discard". I've tried them and they can actually be more satisfying than sourdough bread!

Basically, anything you use flour for, you can substitute some of the flour and water for sourdough starter; for example, shortcrust pastry where you need 200g flour -100g butter and a little cold water, use 50g of starter (that means 25g flour and 25g of water) so you'll put 175g of flour and less water than you'd normally put. Leave the dough to rest for a while before rolling out. The pastry is fluffier than usual!        If I need a bechamel (flour) sauce nowadays I put a spoonful of starter in a glass, add the liquid; either milk or water rather than using dry flour. I made some naan bread and a few pizza bases too, but these need a bit more advance thinking and preparation time. I read that you could use sourdough starter for batter; I haven't tried it, but why not?




No comments:

Post a Comment